22 September 2013

What We're Eating

I noticed I had left off at post number 666 and obviously that meant it was time for a new story.  Or how 'bout some new recipes?

Since today is the first day of autumn I suppose it's time to come out of denial about summer ever leaving and embrace the pumpkins.  Do your kids love pumpkins as much as mine do?  Every time we see a pumpkin Christian tries to hug it and Daph's just super festive about all the holidays in general and already has trick-or-treat outfits picked out her and Christian.  Apparently we're going for a theme this year, because what she's got decided is very specific and matchy. 

We made these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins quite a few times last year so they were the first fall-ish thing I brought out this year.  They're good.  Really good.  I make them gluten-free,* and although that doesn't make them 'healthier' for folks who tolerate gluten just fine (because of the starchiness of the replacement flours**), they make them easier on my guts and that is appreciated.

This recipe for Pumpkin Waffles has been floating around Pinterest a bunch lately so we gave them a try.  You guys, these could be served at a restaurant they are so good.  David said I could make them everyday.  A big winner, these waffles are.  I also make them gluten free.

Breakfasts can be a little hard around here just because of the way we eat and the fact that I have to make almost everything from scratch.  How did Ma Ingalls do it?  Cook EVERYTHING they ever ate?  She's my hero.   Anyways, having ready-to-eat breakfasts that don't come from a box can be a little challenging if you don't want to start cooking at 5 A.M. every morning.  (For the record, I don't want to start cooking at 5 A.M. every morning.)  Shelley gifted us with some homemade granola the other day which succeeded in putting us in a granola mood.  Then yesterday I found Peanut Butter Granola  on Pinterest and gave it a whirl...it's delish.  And takes approximately 17 minutes to make with 5 ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard.  The author is not lying when she says double the batch.  This stuff goes fast. 
lunchtime on the front porch



















I'm always on the look-out for good recipes, so feel free to share with me what you know.  We're about to get 80lbs of Zaycon chicken, which means 80lbs of un-frozen chicken that I want to freeze in creative ways to make cooking it easier later on.  Like, marinades that I can mix up in a bag, put the chicken in with it, and freeze it all, ready to cook later.  Also, we have loads of hamburger and I run out of ways to cook hamburger.  I need help.  (In more ways than on how to cook beef, but we'll just cover that one issue for today.) 

*It's pretty easy to do an internet search for homemade g-free flour blends.  A lot of them are similar and I'm no expert on how flavors differ between flours, but I get my blend from the cookbook Gluten-Free Baking Classics.  This book was a lifesaver when we had to change our diets so drastically last year for Christian's health as it gave me recipes for baked goods that tasted perfectly 'normal.'  I keep her flour blend in my cupboard at all times now and use it for almost every recipe that calls for flour.  

**Potato, brown rice, and tapioca flours.  And don't forget the xanthan gum. 

No comments: