14 July 2009

Daphne on the Farm

Ahhh, summer is here. Picking berries has to be one of the best parts of this season. I remember my first summer in Portland and having no idea where one would go to pick fruit. I was too used to going to our backyard, or Grandma and Grandpa's backyard, to pick what I wanted. Although David and I have our groove down on where we go now, I think it's always better just to be where it's comfortable and familiar. And free. (I still can't believe people will pay money for blackberries.)



















Daphne's Great Grandmother Roth got unexpectedly sick and spent last week in the hospital, so we went down yesterday to visit and help out around the house. I was so happy that raspberries needed to be picked, so David, Grandpa, Daphne and I got to work. David and Gramps worked really hard, I picked the easy ones, and Daphne snoozed.


























Daph had her first experience with baby pigs. She liked them.



















A rainshower over the weekend kept the combine from running. I was disappointed because I wanted Daphne to go on her first ride. So instead we walked around the fields and watched Grandpa do some plowing.

































While there are lots of perks to city living, mainly Panera and Trader Joes and stores open after 6PM, sometimes it's nice to trade in pavement for fields, streetlights for stars. Daphne's blessed to get the best of both worlds.

4 comments:

Miche said...

That sounds like an amazing weekend! I'm glad you guys had fun.

Kelley said...

Were the baby pigs interested in Daphne? Maybe she should take one home to see what sleep looks like. Or maybe she needs a heat lamp!

Anonymous said...

What? There are stores that are open passed 6pm? Not all "malls" close then? haha

Hey, she got her first 4-wheeler ride: she LOVED that. haha

Hello From the Kings! said...

When we were in Montana last month my friend told me that people there actually buy blackberry bushes and plant them at their house! Yikes.
My kids love going to Papa and Grammys too! Fun times on the farm.
Nicole