05 October 2011

Christian: Month One

It's been just over a month since he joined us, but oh my does it feel like 5 years. Not in a bad way, just in the way where time has no end...night and day are the same; the morning comes and I feel like it was never night. That newborn time zone.

We're slugging through the newborn nighttime. Christian eats around 11, 2 and 5, but maybe he'll think about dropping the 2AM feeding soon? I would like that. He is the slowest eater ever and takes about an hour before he's done. That hour goes mighty slowly at 2 AM. Some nights he thinks it's fun to stay awake between the 2 and 5 feeding. It's not fun, baby. Honest.

Daytime naps are getting better. We follow the wonderful routine brought to us by The Baby Whisperer and he has adapted to it so well. He eats every 3 hours and is doing such a good job learning how to put himself to sleep at nap time.

Evenings are rough, mostly because I'm trying to do the evening crabby hours and bedtime routines alone. David had two weeks off, but now he's back and working loads of overtime. Thank you to the protesters downtown who are making him work noon to midnight this week. Nothing like protesting corporate America and how much money they make by giving the police a bunch of overtime cash. But, David says he feels badly that I've been doing the 24 hour shift by myself so much lately that he feels he needs to buy me some gifts. I think he feels badly that my face looks so haggard and my eyes look glazed over. So I don't say no to gifts. Nope.

It's hard to say much about the personality of a 1 month old, but so far Christian seems pretty laid back and calm. This morning I set him in the infant seat so I could take a shower and he just sat there and stared at the wall the entire time without making a peep. Last week we had to take Christian to the doctor and so left Daphne with my sister. As we were sailing down the freeway I told David that it's strange to drive with a child who is making no noise. Suddenly I had a minor panic moment because I thought maybe we had forgotten to bring him. I checked his car seat real quick and he was there, just relaxed and quiet. After having a firstborn who acted like the world was ending if you ever even tried to put her down, this is like a miracle. As long as his basic needs are met, he seems to be a pretty relaxed guy. Hallelujah and amen.

Maybe I will survive this journey with two.

1 week























1 month























And for good measure, Daphne, 2 and 3/4 years

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow he is filling out, he looks good! Daphne looks good in the laundry basket also. :) I like the location of the comparison photos. :) Can't wait to see the kids Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Also, glad you didn't forget him for his appointment. That would have been weird if you left him and Rebecca didn't mention it.

Anonymous said...

Yay for The Baby Whisperer. And for children that actually follow it! :).