13 March 2012

Time for the Yummy Stuff

Now that Christian is 6 months old we decided he's probably ready to start experimenting with solid foods.

(One reason this does not excite me: the diapers. That's kind of two words, but you know what I'm talking about.)

I had heard about this book, Baby Led Weaning, and I thought to myself that it sounded interesting. So we decided to be wild and unconventional and skip the purees...and guess what? It's amazing. We love it. So read all about it and who knows, you may decide it sounds fun for you and your baby, too. It might not work for everyone (and of course this doesn't mean we'll never feed him any food on a spoon), but for some reason it works really well for us.

Christian's first bit of food was a steamed carrot that he happily fed to himself.


















Now when we're eating as a family, I cut Christian a slice big enough for him to grasp and he gnaws/sucks/slobbers-all-over/swallows-a-tiny-bit of whatever we are eating, as long as it's something soft enough that he can mash with his gums. So easy.

Because a baby's gag reflex is so strong, Christian swallows what he mashes and spits out the chunks that are too big for him to handle. God made babies pretty darn amazing.

























Link




(If you're curious as to why I don't start my kids on rice cereal/grains, this article explains a little bit)

Welcome to the world of delicious food, buddy. I think you're going to like it.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Ah, a boy who will sit for food! Maybe he will learn after all.