27 June 2009

Separation Anxiety

Daphne seems to be going through a stage. That, or I am just raising a very needy baby with severe attachment issues.

Today we wanted to get some stuff done in the yard. I took out several of Daphne's blankets, made her a cozy spot in the shade, gave her a toy, and figured she'd entertain herself for at least half an hour.

Nope...anytime I was out of sight (not hard to do when your weeds rival trees for height) she started crying her "I am so heartbreakingly sad, please save me and shower me with thousands of kisses" cry. It's the cry that makes you want to drop anything you're doing and, yes, shower her with thousands of kisses.














I really try not to run to her every time she cries. I talk to her from across the room, letting her know she's not been forgotten. Or I give her tummy a quick pat and continue on with what I'm doing. Or I give her a new toy to distract her. Or I pick her up because she's just so darn cute that I can't help it.

But back to our yard work endeavor...She would cry her little cry, and then when I would go check on her, she would start smiling and laughing. David said she's training me.

In the last week or so, she's been wanting only me to feed her. Only me to put her to bed. Cries when I leave. Is happy when I come back. It's a little out of control, and really weird that it started happening out of the blue.

I think it's making David kind of sad, but I tell him that it won't be long before she realizes that he is the fun one, and then she'll only want him.

Secretly it makes me very happy that right now I'm her #1. Even if the showering her with thousands of kisses all day is keeping me from getting anything else done.

5 comments:

GrandpaR said...

David is wise. I see it everyday in the store.

Do what we did with you --- just stick her in a cupboard. You turned out OK!

Anonymous said...

Tell her at least she is wearing OSU clothes, she's got nothin to cry about.

Kelley said...

I don't remember sticking you in a cupboard. That must be something your dad did when I wasn't looking. I will keep an eye on him and not let him stick Daphne in one.

Yes, she is training you. It breaks your heart, but you can't let her be in charge all the time. Hope she lets other people take care of her at the reunion.

Give Daphne a thousand kisses for me :)

Anonymous said...

What Grandma Roth means is she hopes Daphne lets Aunt Angie take care of her! Auntie Angie is looking forward to seeing Daphne! She will be amazed at how much little Daphers has grown! I thought Daphne has grown quite a bit from when I saw her a few weeks ago til when I saw her Monday.

Kelley said...

It must have been Erin that was put in the cupboard. It wasn't Aunt Angie I was refering to.

I haven't seen Daphne for three weeks. I think that is the longest I've gone. :( Maybe this week.