24 June 2009

This is A Big One

Half birthday. Halfway between being born and being one year old. Six months old.

Anyway you spin it, it seems like such a big milestone to me.

We started off the day at Daphne's 6 month well baby check up. I love that in the After Visit Summary they give the baby's height in feet, not inches. Daphne is officially 1 ft 10 1/2 in. And I think she weighs 13.12lbs. We had a wonderful almost 3 weeks of no Daphne doctor appointments, but we're jumping right back into the groove with 3 for her this week and 3 for David.















Later she had her first taste of sweet potatoes. As soon as we sat her down she knew what was coming and got that "are you kidding me?" look before the food was even on the spoon (smart baby). But as soon as the food was in her mouth she was fine. I'm sure she liked them, as there was smiling going on in between bites. If smiles aren't proof that there was happiness and joy in eating those sweet potatoes, then I don't know what is. I'm so glad she liked them since sweet potatoes have to be the easiest of all baby foods to make.
















We finished off the day by going on a birthday celebration trip to Daphne's favorite hang out, Starbucks. David and I took a trip down memory lane and discussed our favorite/most vivid memories of the day Daphne was born.

I remember right after she was born when the doctor asked David to tell us if it was a boy or a girl. David hesitated, which made me very concerned. Not being able to tell our baby's gender was not something I had prepared myself for. (He explained later that he was so overwhelmed by how unattractive she was with her squished head that it briefly distracted him.) I also remember finally going to bed around 6:30AM, but then waking up at 8:00 ready to go visit her in the NICU. I couldn't wait to go spend the day getting to know her.

David's favorite memory was when all the medical staff were finished working, and he finally got a chance to get close to her. She grabbed tightly to his finger, proving that her fingers were working just fine. He was also very happy when her head started shifting to a more aesthetically pleasing shape.














We didn't get a family picture taken on Daphne's real birthday. Today was a good day to make up for that.
















Happy 6 month birthday, little baby. I'd give you a cake if I could.

3 comments:

Kelley said...

What a happy girl!

I have been waiting for the six month pix. We need to see her next to her Brynner dog though.

Sweet Potatoes! I think bananas are better.

blog said...

Aw, happy six months, Daphne! ...And I'm making my own baby food, too. So far, Jude's the biggest fan of sweet potatoes, but he loves pears a lot, too. I love making my own baby food and knowing what exactly is in what I'm giving him!

One Blessed Momma! said...

Happy half birthday Daphne!