18 August 2009

Daphne in the Ultrasound Room

At one of my final ultrasounds with Daphne before she was born, our doctor noticed her kidneys were filled with fluid and possibly not draining properly. After she was born and in the NICU, she had an ultrasound done to check on her kidney function. It was only after all of this that we learned it's very common for babies at the end of a pregnancy to have this kidney back-up going on. It's just that most pregnancies aren't monitored with ultrasounds every three weeks, so it's not usually seen.

When we applied for life insurance for Daphne she was denied based on a life threatening kidney disease that she apparently suffers from. Our pediatrician let us know that nothing was wrong with Daphne's kidneys, and that someone in the insurance world just doesn't know how to read medical charts.

Today we had a follow up ultrasound to prove that Daphne's kidneys really are OK. They were fine after she was born, and while we don't have the results from today back yet, no one is expecting any problems. But I loved that the person who scheduled the ultrasound with me told me to make sure Daphne's bladder remained full before the appointment. I didn't even know how to respond to that.

Daphne was so good, though! She laid there patiently and played with her toy, holding much more still than she ever did during prenatal ultrasounds. And her bladder was even full. I guess she listens to me more than I thought she did.



















Ultrasound rooms tend to give me heart palpitations, so I'm glad she was able to remain calm and happy.

She also spent some time today drooling on Ellie the cat. Ellie is rather skittish, so to have her sit still enough for Daphne to even notice she's there is pretty rare. Daphne has a new best friend!

1 comment:

Kelley said...

I'm glad she kept her bladder full. Just wait until you are trying to toilet train her, take her in for an ultra sound and then she's told to release. The poor child has no idea of what to do. Go potty on the table? You're kidding, right?

Hoping for a positive result!