03 September 2014

Daph Endorses These Pickles

I recently stumbled across Smitten Kitchen's Easiest Fridge Dill Pickles and thought we should give them a try.  I was cautious getting too excited about whether or not they would be good, because I hate cucumbers and even the essence of cucumbers, and wasn't sure such a simple recipe would truly turn cucumbers into pickles in only a few short hours. Baking kale into kale chips is supposed to turn kale into a yummy snack, but really, kale chips are just kale turned into warm, cripsy, kale grossness.  This could be a similar experience. 

I let Daphne have the first try, because she's a braver taste-tester than I am, and because if they turned out gross, better her taste buds than mine.  (I'm a great mom.)  She loved them enough to make me brave...and they really are good!  She eats them by the bowlful, until I cut her off because I'm afraid her stomach will hurt.  Christian won't try them because he's even wimpier food-wise than I am, but David and I both really like them.  I think we're going to have to start growing cucumbers and dill in order to keep these a summer staple. 





















I have a jar of apple peals and water fermenting on the counter, trying my hand at homemade apple cider vinegar.  I think it will turn out just fine because my jar looks just like the jar in the recipe photo, so surely that's good?  And it smells fermenty-sweet, also a good sign.  I think. 

Happy Wednesday!  Go forth and make yourselves some pickles. 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

We are going to have to try these! My family seems to be inhaling pickles lately... so they can be put to the pickle-lovers test. :-)

melissa said...

You guys will love them!!!