16 April 2009

ER, Season 1, Episode 1

Yup, it's true. We got to take Daphne on her first ER trip.

Her fever was much better Wednesday morning, although she was still super lethargic and grouchy. And definitely not sleeping long hours anymore. In the evening I decided to take her temperature because she had been crying for an hour or so and seemed hot again. Her temp was 96.5. I thought maybe something was wrong with the thermometer, so I took it again a few minutes later. 95.5. "This can't be good," I thought to myself, and for the first time ever I called David's work number. (He can easily ignore his personal cell, but he has to answer his work phone. I guess he was being stealthy trying to catch a bad guy when I called. Oops.)

Usually for things like this we can call the advice nurse available through our insurance. I had called her the night before because of Daphne's high fever and because she hadn't kept any of her milk down for about 9 hours, and I was on hold for almost an hour before I got to speak to her. I didn't feel like going that route again. Good thing G.G. Brenneman is our own personal advice nurse.

Apparently, a temperature in the 95's is something that warrants a trip to the doctor. Since it was 9:30PM, off we went to the ER. I don't think the admitting nurse believed me when I said Daphne's temp was 95.5. They took it again, and not that I wanted her to have that low of a temp, it was good to let them (and myself) know that I wasn't completely crazy when they came up with 95.2.

She got a chest x-ray that showed pneumonia, and they took blood to check for other infections. We'll find out in a day or two if she has anything other than the pneumonia.

There are no pictures of this fun trip because who thinks to pack a camera at a time like this? Just imagine a fussy baby with red eyes and dried snot on her face, bundled up like she was visiting the Arctic, and you've got it covered.

6 comments:

Kelley said...

Poor baby girl! :( Hope things get better and she doesn't have anything else going on. And it is always nice when you are proven right with the nurse. We will be praying for her...and you.

Bethany said...

Did you have to get checked in? I'll be praying.

Anonymous said...

Oh my poor baby niece! Yuck. Get better cute baby!

Miche said...

Poor baby :( Hug her extra tight for us. Get well soon little one

Down To Earth said...

Will be praying for you today.

One Blessed Momma! said...

Aw, poor lil' Daph!!! I hope she feels better quickly! I'll be praying there isn't anything else that comes back from her blood test!