10 October 2012

What We're Reading

"Between the pages 
of a book is a 
lovely place to be." 














We never tire of reading books in our house, so if you need any suggestions for some good fall reading we probably have a few good ideas.

Daphne loves, loves, LOVES these books from the My First Little House Series.  Mr. Edwards is her favorite character.  (Of course he is, because he just sounds so fun.) We've checked out quite a few from the library and she loves to read them over and over.  And over.  We haven't purchased any yet, but I think they would be great ones to own. 

Buying new books is something that's hard for me to say no to.   I found this It's A Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown look and find book that Daph also loves.  Think Where's Waldo  but with Charlie Brown and made for younger children.  It occupies her time really well, making it a great rest time book, or a book she can read when we're spending a lot of time in the car. 

Another favorite series is the Toot and Puddle books.  It's also another series that we love but don't own any yet.  Thank goodness for libraries. 
 
I love using the library for my own reading, but of course I am constantly returning unread or partially read books for lack of reading time.  I've recently started reading books by Lysa Terkeust.  She's funny and easy to read and has lots of wisdom to share.  I just wish I knew how to pronounce her last name.

I started reading Am I Messing Up My Kids but only got half way through before I needed to return it.  I have it on hold again, so maybe I will finish it eventually.  Right now I have Unglued  in my book bag, but I've had it for about two weeks without cracking it open yet, which leaves me a week to get to it...so we'll see. 

My favorite parenting book of all time (not that I've read very many, but of what I've read I really love this one) is Don't Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman.  I can barely explain what makes it so great, but I've checked it out from the library so many times that I'm not sure why I don't just own it myself.  Her advice and guidance on memorizing scripture so that you have verses immediately come to mind when disciplining your children is so spot on.  Between BSF and this book, I've been feeling so convicted lately on memorizing scripture that I just wish my tired old brain would cooperate a little better. 

Anything good on your reading lists lately?

1 comment:

Gramma K said...

What good memories Daphne and Christian will have of times spent with their Mommy and Daddy.
Love you guys.