24 May 2009

Big People Food?

It seems as though Daphne has chosen what she would like as an introduction to the delights of adult food.





















She looks ready to dive in, huh? I had to practically hold her back.

We had a minor diaper/outfit dilemma this afternoon. We were at Cascade Station (where Ikea is) doing a little walking around in the sunshine when I found Daphne had had a diaper issue that required a clothing change. I found a lovely shady spot in the grass that was a perfect place to change her. Then I realized, maybe it's not socially acceptable to change your baby in the middle of an outdoor shopping center? Where are the rule books for these types of things? Do people care? Was every passer-by judging me for not doing the right thing and finding a bathroom? I don't know where to find the answers for these types of things.

Then I realized that I didn't have a spare outfit for her. I'm sure in that mysterious baby rule book is rule #1, "always have a spare outfit or two for the little one." And I usually do, but it is so rare that she needs a clothing change when we're just out for an hour or two. So rare that I don't think I've ever changed her clothes when we're out running errands. But of course, this one time, I was lazy and did not have anything clean in the diaper bag. So here's Daphne, laying in the middle of a popular shopping hang out, practically naked.

I covered her with a blanket so that she wouldn't be too embarrassed. Then we came home.















4 comments:

Kelley said...

I thought I had told you enough stories about needing to change your clothing that you would pack an extra set. I realize your daughter is better at not 'blowing out', but never take chances. That is in the rule book.

Changing in the middle of a shopping center? You always do what needs to be done. Any parent would understand. If someone thinks it socially unacceptable, they haven't a clue. Socially unacceptable is keeping a baby in dirty clothing longer than necessary.

I can't believe the coffee thing is already starting. What is with this generation?

I'm glad you remember to pack the camera so we can share these moments with you.

Give Daphne a kiss for me.

Anonymous said...

She is getting close to wanting adult food. I almost gave her a bite of my pizza on Saturday, she looked like she wanted a bite so bad.

Ha ha I like that you covered Daphs, she would have been terribly embarassed.

Kim said...

Did you get your hair cut? It looks very cute :)

Jessica said...

Murphy's Baby Law states that when you decide it's safe to leave the house without a clean change of clothes, the baby will inevidably make a mess! It's ok, happens to the best of us. LOL!
Changing babies is necessary, regardless of the facilities available. If people frown on your choice of changing location, they've obviously never had a screaming poopy baby!
Glad to see she's wanting what every true northwesterner would want. Coffee is a must in this part of the country.