25 May 2009

Freedom!

We celebrated Memorial Day 2009 in part by setting our chicks free to their outdoor home.






























Daphne wasn't too into the festivities as it was past her bedtime.

It is time for our chickens to get some names. Usually I have lots of ideas for names, but I'm really at a loss for our feathered friends. If you have any suggestions, just know that I don't like predicable animal names. For instance, I will probably never name a Dalmation 'Spot.' Or a black and white cat 'Oreo.' Or a chicken 'Henny.' Nothing wrong with those names, of course, it's just not my thing.

Daphne wishes you all a happy Memorial Day. I thought as I was taking this picture that David was being really patriotic and saying The Pledge or something. He told me he was not, that he was actually watching some birds build a nest in the shrubs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like Daphne was singing the national anthem

Anonymous said...

For names, how about: fried, roasted, baked, and grilled.

Kelley said...

Erin, I don't think those are the names Melissa had in mind. I, however, think they are great! :D

Unknown said...

My dad likes to refer to our chickens as Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. You'd of course have to name the last one either Fourth Meal or Snack.

Unknown said...

Or you could go for really old names, like Doris, Beulah, Rhoda and Hester.

Kelley said...

As it is the eggs you are after, scrambled, sunnyside up, overeasy and hard boiled. Or cookie dough, bread dough, waffles and cake.

One Blessed Momma! said...

How 'bout Gertrude, Helga, Bertha or Bernice? - lol :0)

Unknown said...

Oooh. I like GrammaR's ideas. Overeasy is an especially good name.